St. Malachy offers a quality religious education program for children in 4 years old to Grade 5 who do not attend St. Malachy School. Programs are offered throughout the year.
First Eucharist preparation for parents and children, primarily in the second grade, takes place in January of each year. There will be a parent/child meeting followed by home catechesis based upon curriculum provided at the meeting. Registration is based upon second grade enrollment at St. Malachy School or St. Malachy Religious Education Program with two years catechesis.
Important Dates to Remember 2019
- First Communion Parent/Child Meetings: Monday, January 14th @7PM OR Thursday, January 17th @ 7PM
- Rite of Enrollment: February 3rd after Noon Mass (must RSVP via First Communion Information Form by January 7th)
- Tour of the Church: Saturday February 9th after the 5:30pm Mass OR Sunday, February 10th after the Noon Mass (must RSVP via First Communion Information Form by January 7th)
- Blessing Cup Meal: Sunday February 24th at 1:30pm in the school gym (must RSVP via First Communion Information Form by January 7th)
- First Communion Pictures: All Children on Monday March 18th at 6:30pm (make-up night March 19th at 6:45pm)
- First Communion Practices: Monday April 29th from 6-7pm for the May 4th Mass AND Monday April 29th from 7:15-8:15pm for the May 5th Mass
- First Communion Mass Celebrations: Saturday May 4th at the 5:30pm Mass OR Sunday May 5th at 1:30pm mass
First Reconciliation preparation for parents and children, primarily in the second grade,starts in September of each year. There will be home catechesis based upon curriculum provided at a meeting for parents and children to go through together. Registration is based upon second grade enrollment at St. Malachy School or St. Malachy Religious Education Programs with two years catechesis.
JAM Sunday Religious Education Program
JAM (Jesus and Me) Religious Education classes are for our Preschool and Kindergarten children of the parish. Activities are joyful and involve movement, song, puppets, stories, and scripture! It is designed for those Pre-K children age 4 by August 1, 2019 and Kindergarten children age 5 by August 1, 2019. Classes occur during the school year at the 10:00 Mass with drop off beginning at 9:45am. Please refer to Religious Education for Children tab for dates. Please contact Jean McCorkhill or Megan Hassler for more information or questions.
Parents requesting to have their first child baptized are asked to attend the Baptism Preparation Class which is held the second Saturday of every other month beginning in February. Parents are required to be registered parishioners. Baptisms are held after the noon Mass each Sunday.
To schedule a Baptism, please contact Jean McCorkhill at 317-852-3195 or
Baptism preparation for parents of children, six years and younger, occurs from 10:00-11:30 am the second Saturday of the even months of the year at the Church. No registration is required; you are welcome to bring your baby with you!
- Religious Education classes are held thirty Sundays from August to May. Sessions take place at St. Malachy School from 8:45am-9:45am allowing children to participate at Mass with their families in order to apply and reinforce the faith formation they are experiencing during the Religious Education classes. Although parents are the first teachers of the faith, it is important for children to learn about their faith with their peers and from other adults’ perspectives. Use the links at the right to register. Below is the schedule for the 2019-2020 school year:
- 2019-2020 Dates
- August 11, 18, 25
- September 8, 15, 22, 29
- October 6, 13, 27
- November 3, 10, 17, 24
- December 8, 15
- January 12, 19
- February 2, 9, 16, 23
- March 1, 8, 15, 22
- April 5, 19, 26
- May 3
- JAM (Jesus and Me) Religious Education for Pre-K and Kindergarten aged children occurs on the above Sundays during the school year from 10:00 - 11:00 am. Please see schedule above for religious education. Drop off starts at 9:45am.
Rite of Christian Initiation of Children (RCIC) is a process focused for children in grades 3-8, who are in need of preparation to celebrate the sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation and/or Eucharist. This program is adapted from the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) process, and the catechists concentrate on helping the children understand the sacraments to be celebrated as part of the Catholic faith community. Please contact the Faith Formation office 317-852-3195 x 7108. Necessary forms can be accessed here.
Vacation Bible School (VBS)
IS COMING JUNE 17-20 6-8pm.
Ahoy campers and climb on deck! Weigh anchor for Ireland! On this voyage you will set sail with St. Patrick, the first Bishop missionary, and travel with him on his quest to spread Christianity to the dangerous and ungodly people of Ireland. They will discover the power of the Holy Spirit and welcome God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit into their lives.