St. Malachy offers a quality religious education program for children in 4 years old to Grade 5 who do not attend St. Malachy School. Programs are offered throughout the year.
First Eucharist preparation for parents and children, primarily in the second grade, takes place in January of each year. There will be a parent/child meeting followed by home catechesis based upon curriculum provided at the meeting. Registration is based upon second grade enrollment at St. Malachy School or St. Malachy Religious Education Program with two years catechesis.
Important Dates to Remember 2018
- First Communion Parent/Child Meetings: Monday, January 22nd @7PM OR Thursday, January 25th
- Rite of Enrollment: February 4th after Noon Mass (must RSVP via First Communion Information Form by January 2nd)
- Tour of the Church: Saturday February 10th after the 5:30pm Mass OR Sunday, February 11th after the Noon Mass (must RSVP via First Communion Information Form by January 2nd)
- Blessing Cup Meal: Sunday March 4th at 1:30pm in the school gym (must RSVP via First Communion Information Form by January 2nd)
- First Communion Pictures: All Children on Monday March 5th at 6:30pm (make-up night March 6th at 6:30pm)
- First Communion Practices: Monday April 9th from 6-7pm for the April 14th Mass AND Monday April 9th from 7:15-8:15pm for the April 15th Mass
- First Communion Mass Celebrations: Saturday April 14th at the 5:30pm Mass OR Sunday April 15th at 1:30pm mass
First Reconciliation preparation for parents and children, primarily in the second grade, takes place in September of each year. There will be home catechesis based upon curriculum provided at a meeting for parents and children to go through together. Registration is based upon second grade enrollment at St. Malachy School or St. Malachy Religious Education Programs with two years catechesis.
JAM Sunday Religious Education Program
JAM (Jesus and Me) Religious Education classes are for our Preschool and Kindergarten children of the parish. Activities are joyful and involve movement, song, puppets, stories, and scripture! It is designed for those Pre-K children age 4 by August 1, 2018 and Kindergarten children age 5 by August 1, 2018. Classes occur during the school year at the 10:00 Mass with drop off beginning at 9:45am. Please refer to Religious Education for Children tab for dates. Please contact Jean McCorkhill 317-504-0149 or , Megan Hassler 317-614-5288 or , or Tiffany Stahl 317-797-6886 or for more information or questions.
Parents requesting to have their first child baptized are asked to attend the Baptism Preparation Class which is held the second Saturday of every other month beginning in February. Parents are required to be registered parishioners. Baptisms are held after the noon Mass each Sunday.
To schedule a Baptism, please contact Kem Kazmierzak at 317-852-3195 or
Baptism preparation for parents of children, six years and younger, occurs from 10:00-11:30 am the second Saturday of the even months of the year at the Church. No registration is required; you are welcome to bring your baby with you!
- Religious Education classes are held thirty Sundays from August to May. Sessions take place at St. Malachy School from 8:45am-9:45am allowing children to participate at Mass with their families in order to apply and reinforce the faith formation they are experiencing during the Religious Education classes. Although parents are the first teachers of the faith, it is important for children to learn about their faith with their peers and from other adults’ perspectives. Use the links at the right to register. Below is the schedule moving forward for the 2017-18 school year:
- 2017/2018 Remaining Dates
- March 18
- April 8, 15, 22, 29
- May 6 (13 and 20 snow days)
- JAM (Jesus and Me) Religious Education for Pre-K and Kindergarten aged children occurs on the above Sundays during the school year from 10:00 - 11:00 am. Please see schedule above for religious education. Drop off starts at 9:45am.
Rite of Christian Initiation of Children (RCIC) is a process focused for children in grades 3-8, who are in need of preparation to celebrate the sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation and/or Eucharist. This program is adapted from the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) process, and the catechists concentrate on helping the children understand the sacraments to be celebrated as part of the Catholic faith community. Please contact the Faith Formation office 317-852-3195 x 7108. Necessary forms can be accessed here.
Vacation Bible School (VBS)
Samuel heard it during the middle of the night. Mary heard it through an angel. The disciples were hard at work when they heard it. They all heard God’s special message just for them! Message Received: Hearing God’s Call lets children know that God continues to call all kinds of people—including them! People are called to love God and follow Jesus every day. Those who hear God’s message and respond are forever changed. Join us June 18-21, 2018 from 6-8PM. Please use registration form on the right.