St. Malachy offers a quality religious education program for children in 4 years old to Grade 5 who do not attend St. Malachy School. Programs are offered throughout the year.
First Eucharist preparation for parents and children, primarily in the second grade, takes place in January of each year. There will be a parent/child meeting followed by home catechesis based upon curriculum provided at the meeting. Registration is based upon second grade enrollment at St. Malachy School or St. Malachy Religious Education Program with two years catechesis. For Religious Education students: must have at least a 70% attendance rate.
Important Dates to Remember - 2020-21
- First Communion Parent/Child Meetings: Monday, January 11th at 7PM or Wednesday, January 13th at 7PM
- Rite of Enrollment: February 7th at a special Noon Mass (must RSVP via First Communion Information Form by January 10th)
- Tour of the Church: Saturday January 30th after the 5:30pm Mass OR Sunday, January 31st after the 10:15am Mass (must RSVP via First Communion Information Form by January 10th)
- Blessing Cup Meal: Sunday February 28th at noon in the school gym (must RSVP via First Communion Information Form by January 10th)
- First Communion Pictures: All Children on Monday March 8th at 6:30pm (make-up night March 9th at 6:45pm)
- First Communion Practices: Monday, April 12th from 6-7PM for the April 18th Mass or Monday, April 19th from 6-7 PM for the April 25th Mass
- First Communion Mass Celebrations: Sunday April 18th OR Sunday April 25th both scheduled for 12:30pm.
First Reconciliation preparation for parents and children, primarily in the second grade,starts in September of each year. There will be home catechesis based upon curriculum provided at a meeting for parents and children to go through together. Registration is based upon second grade enrollment at St. Malachy School or St. Malachy Religious Education Programs with two years catechesis.
Important Dates to Remember
- First Reconciliation Parent/Child Meeting: Monday, August 24th at 7PM or Thursday, August 27th at 7PM
- Opportunities to Celebrate Reconciliation: Parish Penance Service TBD
- Reconciliation celebrated individually any Saturday from 8:45am-10am
JAM Sunday Religious Education Program
JAM (Jesus and Me) Religious Education classes are for our Preschool and Kindergarten children of the parish. Activities are joyful and involve movement, song, puppets, stories, and scripture! It is designed for those Pre-K children age 4 by August 1, 2020 and Kindergarten children age 5 by August 1, 2020. Classes occur during the school year from 8:30 -10:00am. Please refer to Religious Education for Children tab for dates. Please contact Jean McCorkhill or Megan Hassler for more information or questions.
Parents requesting to have their first child baptized are asked to attend the Baptism Preparation Class which is held the second Saturday of every other month beginning in February. Parents are required to be registered parishioners. Starting August 1st, 2020, Baptisms will be celebrated before the 10:15AM Mass each Sunday.
To schedule a Baptism, please contact Jean McCorkhill at 317-852-3195 or
Baptism preparation for parents of children, six years and younger, occurs from 10:00-11:30 am the second Saturday of the even months of the year at the Church. No registration is required; you are welcome to bring your baby with you!
- Religious Education classes are held twenty Sundays from August to May. Sessions take place at St. Malachy School from 8:30 - 10:00 am. allowing children to participate at Mass with their families in order to apply and reinforce the faith formation they are experiencing during the Religious Education classes. Although parents are the first teachers of the faith, it is important for children to learn about their faith with their peers and from other adults’ perspectives. Use the links at the right to register. Below is the schedule for the 2020-2021 school year:
- 2020-2021 Dates
- August 9, 23, 30
- September 13, 20, 27
- October 4, 25
- November 1, 15
- December 6, 13
- January 10, 31
- February 7, 21
- March 7, 14
- April 11, 25
- May 2 (Make-up day if needed)
- JAM (Jesus and Me) Religious Education for Pre-K and Kindergarten aged children occurs on the above Sundays during the school year from 8:30 - 10:00 am. Please see schedule above for religious education.
Rite of Christian Initiation of Children (RCIC) is a process focused for children in grades 3-8, who are in need of preparation to celebrate the sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation and/or Eucharist. This program is adapted from the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) process, and the catechists concentrate on helping the children understand the sacraments to be celebrated as part of the Catholic faith community. Please contact the Faith Formation office 317-852-3195 x 7001. Necessary forms can be accessed here.
Vacation Bible School (VBS)
June 21-24, 2021 from 6-8PM
At first, Jesus’ parables seem simple. Of course we know that the type of soil in which seeds are sown is important for plants to grow, but what does that have to do with us? And if someone asked us for food, we wouldn’t be rude and give a stone instead! Or, what if we lost something important to us? Of course we would look high and low and celebrate when it was found.
It turns out, however, that the parables have a greater meaning beyond what we first see. So come along, listen, and dig deeper for the treasures of the kingdom of heaven!